Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

 

Search in the Encyclopedia

Dieren en planten

Water en land

Ho Bugt   Langli   

Mens en Milieu

Langli

Langli is approximately 80 hectares and is part of the Ho Bugt region. The island can be reached via the 'Ebbevejen', a road which floods during high tide. The island is open to the public between July 16 and September 15. There are no permanent residents on Langli. However, there is a scientific station located in a deserted mansion. The island is an important breeding area for various species of gulls. There are even spoonbill and cormorant colonies, the only ones in the Danish wadden region.

  • Formation

    There was a time when Langli was attached to the mainland, prior to the storm of 1634. The dunes on the island are remnants of the Middle Age coastline, which runs from Blivandshuk down to Gridyb between Langli and FanÝ. After the peninsula Skallingen formed, the supply of sediment to Langli ended. The island kept declining. This erosion is still going on today.

  • History

    Langli was a pillar of support for the fishermen from Hjerting in the 16th century. After Langli became an island in the flood disaster of 1634 and up till the 19th century, the island served as common grazing ground, where cattle and sheep roamed. The sheep grazed in the dunes and the cows on the clay grounds. In addition to farming, the residents hunted seals and birds, used fykes and lines to catch fish and gathered whatever wood that washed ashore for fuel and building material.†
    In 1911, the low dikes of Langli broke through during a heavy storm, after which the residents moved away. In 1982, Langli was bought by the Danish Ministry for Environmental Affairs.

  • Landscape

    The dunes on Langli are also called the Langli Hills (Bjergen). Some are as high as 14 meters. The bodies of unknown seamen used to be buried in the 'Dead man's Bjerg'. Small salt marshes are located on the north and south side of the island.