Excursion on the mud flats
Rules for excursions
How nice that you booked an excursion! Due to the corona regulations, we ask you to observe the Ministry of Health’s advice during the excursion in order to keep it as safe as possible for everyone. See advice RIVM
We count on your understanding.
Do you have any other questions not answered here? See the page with Frequently Asked Questions. Should you not find your question, please send it per email (email@example.com) or call us (+31 (0)222 317741).
Excursion on the mud flatsWelcome to the Wadden Sea World Heritage site! You walk over the bottom of the sea; in just a few hours, it will be covered in water. All kinds of strange animals live in and on the mud. In turn, they are eaten by thousands of shorebirds that scrounge their meal together on the exposed flats.
During this 2-hour excursion, you experience the mud flats very intensely; you feel how the mud pulls on your boots, you look for and observe the animals living here, you smell the special 'wad odor', you hear all the sounds of the birds and the water in the distance. An exceptional experience!
- Attention: due to the extra muddy bottom, shoes with laces that can get wet and dirty are momentarily the best footware for the hike
- Tight boots or surf socks which close well with velcro are also a possibility.
- Minimum age: 7 years
- No buggys, no children in backpacks or baby carriers
- Dogs are not allowed on the flats
- The guide can decide to cancel the excursion if a thunderstorm threatens.
TipIt is often colder and windier on the flats than on land. It’s a good idea to bring an extra sweater or rain/wind jacket.